Deadly explosion at Thailand’s fireworks factory, 23 workers dead

A powerful explosion at a fireworks factory in Thailand’s Muang district has claimed the lives of all 23 workers, with rescue efforts hindered by the intense blast, making the identification of victims challenging.

In a devastating incident that has sent shockwaves, all 23 workers at a fireworks factory in Ban Khoi Ngam, Moo 3 village, Tambon Sala Khao, Muang district, were killed in a powerful explosion on Wednesday afternoon. Local authorities, including police and rescue teams, rushed to the scene in the aftermath of the horrifying event.

The explosion occurred at approximately 3:30 pm, leaving behind a scene of destruction. Preliminary reports suggest that the force of the blast was so intense that it caused extensive damage to the factory and surrounding structures, amplifying the challenges faced by emergency responders. According to the statements of the local villagers, normally around 30 workers who would work there but on Wednesday only 23 workers were working inside the factory.

According to the rescue officials, the blast was so impactful that the bodies blew up and were retrieved from about 50 meters away. The rescue officials even said that it became a difficult task to identify the victims. The identities of the victims are currently being verified by authorities, who are working closely with their families to provide support during this tragic time.

The incident was immediately reported to Srettha Thavisin, the Prime Minister, who is in Davos, Switzerland on an official trip. The accident and the high number of fatalities shocked the Prime Minister and he expressed his deepest condolences to the families of the victims. The prime minister even instructed the Ministry to make sure that proper treatment is being provided to the injured people. The governor of Suphan Buri governor reported to Anutin Charnvirakul, the Interior Minister, and said that so far there were no survivors from the accident that took place in the factory.

Residents reported feeling the shockwaves from the explosion, prompting concerns about the safety practices of the fireworks factory. The prime minister also strictly instructed the Interior Ministry to update him about the tragedy that happened every hour. Traisulee Traisoranakul, who is a secretary to Anutin said that the governor reported that there were more than 20 workers in the factory, and not a single survivor was found. Last year on August 24 the factory received its annual licence. Traisulee asserted that the cause of the explosion is still under investigation by the Suphanburi officials and other concerned government agencies.

As the community mourns the loss of 23 lives, attention is now focused on providing answers to the grieving families and ensuring that every measure is taken to prevent such a tragedy from recurring.