Israel Renews Violence Erupts In Gaza As Ceasefire Ends: Airstrikes And Casualties Reported

In the northern part of the enclave, formerly the primary conflict zone, large columns of smoke ascended from the ruins, visible from Israel, across the fence.

Israeli warplanes launched airstrikes in Gaza after a seven-day ceasefire ended, leading to reported casualties. The airstrikes caused loud explosions and billowing smoke. Israel’s military revealed plans to categorize Gaza into numbered blocks, aiming to streamline targeted evacuations before planned bombings in the densely populated southern area.

Leaflets were dropped, providing a QR code that directed residents to a website featuring a map and geolocation information for guidance during evacuations. The situation reflects heightened tensions between Israel and Hamas despite no formal extension of the truce.

In the northern part of the enclave, formerly the primary conflict zone, large columns of smoke ascended from the ruins, visible from Israel, across the fence. The echoes of gunfire and explosions resound. Sirens wailed across southern Israel as militants launched rockets from the coastal enclave into nearby towns.

In a separate development, Hezbollah, based in Lebanon, claimed to have targeted Israeli troops along Israel’s northern border in solidarity with the Palestinian cause.

Israel and Hamas accused each other of undermining the negotiations, with the White House specifically blaming the Palestinian militant group. The White House stated that Hamas failed to submit a new list of hostages for release, a prerequisite for extending the truce.

Gaza’s health ministry reported 109 fatalities, predominantly women and children, following Israeli airstrikes. Israel attributed the breach of the ceasefire to Hamas, citing a rocket barrage intercepted by the IDF. Sirens in southern Israel warned of potential further attacks. The offensive extended across Gaza, with reports of explosions and gunfire in northern Gaza, airstrikes in southern Gaza, and strikes on specific locations like Abassan and a home northwest of Gaza City. No immediate comment or claim of responsibility was made by Hamas.

The October 7th incident involved Hamas militants breaching Gaza’s perimeter fence into Israel, resulting in about 1,200 casualties, mostly civilians. Hamas kidnapped approximately 240 people, according to Israeli authorities. After two extensions, a Qatari-mediated truce saw the exchange of eight hostages for 30 Palestinian prisoners on the seventh day.

Antony Blinken, the US secretary of state, urged an extension of the truce during discussions with Israeli and Palestinian officials. Drones were reportedly heard in the south for the first time since the truce, with unconfirmed reports of casualties from strikes in Khan Younis and Rafah.

Israel pledged to eradicate Hamas, prompting an air and ground military campaign in Gaza. According to the Hamas government, over 15,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed. During the Qatari-brokered truce, 80 Israeli hostages were exchanged for 240 Palestinian prisoners. Additionally, over 20 foreigners, mainly

Thais residing in Israel, were freed outside the agreement’s scope. On Thursday, eight individuals were released, including six Israelis with dual nationality and two women. The count fell short of the truce deal’s requirement of releasing ten hostages daily, as Hamas considered two Russian-Israeli women released on Wednesday as part of the seventh batch. Hamas militants celebrated the release of hostages abducted during the October 7th attack on Israel.

Israel has emphasized that it perceives the truce as a temporary pause aimed at securing the release of hostages. Officials in Jerusalem state that Hamas is no longer willing or able to provide additional women or children, hostages, as specified in the agreement. Despite this, Benjamin Netanyahu’s government faces mounting pressure to clarify how it will safeguard civilians in the blockaded territory, where there is no means of escape.