Malaysia restated its call to the UN Security Council to take decisive action to halt the war at Gaza

The foreign minister said that Malaysia demanded accountability for the clear violation of International law by Israel and supported the decision by South Africa to conduct proceedings against Israel before the ICJ.

Malaysia has once again emphasized the critical need for the United Nations Security Council to unite and take decisive action to put an end to the protracted war in Gaza, which has endured for over 100 days. Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan emphasized the urgency of the situation, expressing deep concern over the accelerating violence and the toll it has taken on civilian lives.

The minister highlighted the pressing need for international intervention to ensure the protection of civilians caught in the crossfire. Just last week Secretary General Martin Griffith asserted that Gaza is a stain on their collective conscience and that their inaction would become a permanent mark on humanity.

The war in Gaza has resulted in a humanitarian crisis, with reports of civilian casualties, destruction of infrastructure, and a severe strain on essential services. He continued by saying that more than 23,000 Palestinians had been killed and on average, 246 Palestinians were killed every day, or 10 murders every hour. Foreign Minister Mohamad Hasan stressed that the Security Council, as the primary international body responsible for maintaining peace and security, must step up its efforts to bring an immediate end to the hostilities in Gaza.

He asserted, “Malaysia is appalled that Israel has been allowed to carry out what can only be described as an indiscriminate bombing on homes, shelters, evacuation routes, and medical centres.” The foreign minister said that Malaysia demanded accountability for the clear violation of International law by Israel and he also said that Malaysia supported the decision by South Africa to conduct proceedings against Israel before the ICJ (International Court of Justice).

He added by saying that in upholding international law, and the rights of the one who was oppressed, Malaysia, on July 23, 2023, submitted a written statement, along with the 56 other countries, for the Advisory Opinion, on the legal consequences of ongoing violations by Israel, in the territory of Palestine, at the international court of Justice. He also asserted, “Malaysia will now also participate at the Public Hearing on February 19.”

Mohamad asserted that Malaysia condemned the segregation and apartheid practices of Israel and also the persecution against the people of Palestine, in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.