The Panzerkampfwagen VIII Maus, which translates to ‘mouse’ in English, was evidence of German engineering during World War II. This super-heavy tank, completed in late 1944, is the most heavily armoured battle vehicle ever built. The enormous project called for five Maus tanks, but only two hulls and one turret were eventually finished.
The Panzer VIII Maus tank was an imposing and strongly armoured behemoth, weighing 188 tonnes and measuring 10.2 metres in length, 3.71 metres in width, and 3.63 metres in height. The Maus was an engineering marvel of its time, with a crew of six including a commander, gunner, two loaders, driver, and radio operator.
The tank was protected by an exceptional armour scheme, with 220 mm of thickness on the turret front, 200 mm on the turret sides and rear, 200 mm on the hull front, 180 mm on the hull sides, and 150 mm on the hull rear. This powerful armour design provides unrivalled battlefield protection.
The Panzer VIII Maus was equipped with a strong main weapon, the 128 mm KwK 44 gun L/55, as well as ancillary armaments such as a 75 mm KwK 44 gun L/36.5 and a co-axial 7.92 mm MG 34 machine gun with a 1,000-round capacity. The tank’s firepower was impressive.
The Maus was powered by either a V1 MB509 V12 petrol engine or a V2 MB 517 V12 diesel engine, producing 1,080 horsepower and 1,200 hp, respectively. The tank displayed outstanding mobility, with a power-to-weight ratio of 6.4 HP/ton.
The tank had a ground clearance of 500 mm, allowing it to adapt to different terrains. With an internal fuel tank capacity of 2,700 litres and an extra 1,500 litres from an external tank, the Maus had an operational range of 160 km on highways and 62 kilometres off-road.
Despite its impressive capabilities, the Panzer VIII Maus achieved a maximum speed of 20 km/h and an average road speed of 18 km/h. This heavy tank was a formidable force in its day, embodying both strength and technological advancement.
The Panzer VIII Maus was developed using two separate prototypes, V1 and V2, respectively. Alkett assembled the initial turretless prototype, V1, in December 1943, and tested it the same month, with a replica turret of equal weight to the actual one. Subsequent trials in June 1944 incorporated the production turret, complete with weapons. The Maus encountered a hurdle due to its high weight, which prevented it from traversing bridges. To overcome this limitation, an innovative mechanism was invented, allowing the Maus to cross rivers. This required the tank to submerge and traverse river bottoms, necessitating tank pairings. One Maus supplied electrical power to the crossing vehicle via a cable, while the crew received air via a snorkel, allowing the tank to submerge up to 8 metres underwater.
The second prototype, V2, was introduced in March 1944, and it differed significantly from V1 in several ways. By mid-1944, the V2 prototype had a powertrain and the first Maus turret, which was equipped with a 128 mm KwK 44 L/55 gun, a 75 mm KwK 44 L/36.5 cannon, and a 7.92 mm MG 34 gun. Although the second turret was supposed to be installed on the V1 prototype, this never happened. Krupp had begun manufacturing four further Maus hulls by July 1944, but production was abruptly halted, and these units were discarded. Krupp discontinued all development on the Maus in August 1944. However, testing of the V2 prototype resumed in September 1944, with a Daimler-Benz MB 517 diesel engine, a new electronic steering system, and Skoda Works-designed running gear and tracks.
The Panzer VIII Maus was also designed with practical transportation factors in mind. A specialised railway carriage was built to ease the movement of the Maus prototypes, demonstrating the extensive planning and testing associated with these fearsome tanks during WWII.
Nazi Germany built the Panzer VIII Maus, a super-heavy tank, during World War II. However, it is worth noting that the Maus saw no real combat during the conflict. The development of this enormous tank began in the early 1940s, and it was meant to be the heaviest and most formidable tank in the German arsenal. The project experienced significant problems, and only two prototypes were built before the conclusion of the war, one of which was incomplete. As a result, the Panzer VIII Maus cannot be linked to any specific operations during World War II.
The Panzer VIII Maus was primarily developed for service on the Eastern Front, where the great expanses of open territory necessitated heavy tanks to give fire support and smash through opposing defensive lines. The Maus was intended to excel in offensive operations, particularly in regions where its large size and substantial armour could be useful. However, the tank’s sheer weight made transportation difficult, restricting its operational range and manoeuvrability in certain environments.
Due to its size and weight, the Panzer VIII Maus was not designed for deployment in urban or highly wooded regions. The tank’s massive size, weighing more than 180 tonnes, made it unsuited for manoeuvring through small streets or dense foliage. Instead, it was designed as a strategic weapon to be used in open-field conflicts where its strong firepower and armour could be maximised.